OTRS Security Advisory 2019-08
May 31, 2019 — Please read carefully and check if the version of your OTRS system is affected by this vulnerability.
Please send information regarding vulnerabilities in OTRS to: email@example.com
- pub 2048R/9C227C6B 2011-03-21 [expires at: 2020-11-16]
- uid OTRS Security Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- GPG Fingerprint E330 4608 DA6E 34B7 1551 C244 7F9E 44E9 9C22 7C6B
Security Advisory Details
- ID: OSA-2019-08
- Date: 2019-05-31
- Title: Loading External Image Resources
- Severity: 3.5. low
- Product: OTRS 7.0.x, OTRS 6.0.x, OTRS 5.0.x
- Fixed in: OTRS 7.0.8, OTRS 6.0.19, OTRS 5.0.36
- FULL CVSS v3 VECTOR: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:L/I:N/A:N/E:U/RL:O/RC:U
- References: CVE-2019-12248
This advisory covers vulnerabilities discovered in the OTRS framework.
An attacker could send a malicious email to an OTRS system. If a logged in agent user quotes it, the email could cause the browser to load external image resources.
Affected by this vulnerability are all releases of OTRS 7.0.x up to and including OTRS 7.0.7, OTRS 6.0.x up to and including 6.0.19 and OTRS 5.0.x up to and including 5.0.36.
This vulnerability is fixed in the latest versions of OTRS, and it is recommended to upgrade to the latest patch level. New config named
Ticket::Frontend::BlockLoadingRemoteContent has been added, which controls if loading of external resources should be blocked. and by default it is disabled.
Fixed releases can be found at:
Detailed information about the changes:
- OTRS 6:
- OTRS 5:
However, to avoid unwanted side effects, we recommend a complete update.
Thanks to Matthias Terlinde for discovering and reporting this issue.